The following is a list of published books and articles that I have written, or contributed content to. Please acknowledge your source if you use something that I have written. Live links lead to PDFs.
- Sources for Family History at the OESM, Dunedin, 1989.
- Dunedin, New Zealand’s First Great City: the roots of some enduring business successes, Dunedin, 1992.
- “Albert James Ryan”, in The Dictionary of New Zealand Biography, Volume 2, Bridget Williams Books, 1993.
- “The Battle of the Borough & the Saige ‘O Timaru: Sectarian Riot in Colonial Canterbury”, in The New Zealand Journal of History, Volume 28, 1994.
- “Reaching Out, Drawing In: the Dutch Settler Project at the Otago Early Settlers Museum”, in New Zealand Museums Journal, Volume 24, No 2, 1994.
- Review of Patrick O’Farrell, “Through Irish Eyes: Australian and New Zealand Images of the Irish 1788–1948”, in The New Zealand Journal of History, Volume 29, 1995.
- “Thomas Cummins”, “Jane Barry”, “Neil McGregor”, “Patrick and Ellen Ford”, “Lachlan Langlands”, “William Paterson”, and “John Robinson” entries in Southern People: a Dictionary of Otago and Southland Biography, Longacre Press, Dunedin, 1998.
- To Fame Undying: the Otago Settlers Association and Its Museum 1898-1998, OSA, Dunedin, 1998.
- “New Zealand’s First History Museum” in PHANZINE Newsletter of the Professional Historians Association of New Zealand, April 1998.
- “The Greening of Otago: Irish (Catholic) Immigration to Otago and Southland 1840-1888”, in Work ‘n’ Pastimes: 150 Years of Pain and Pleasure, Work and Leisure. Proceedings of the 1998 Conference of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists, Dunedin, 1998.
- Review of Lyndon Fraser, “To Tara via Holyhead: Irish Catholic Immigrants in Nineteenth-Century Christchurch” in The New Zealand Journal of History, Volume 32, 1998.
- “Otago’s Irish Settlers” and “The Otago Settlers Association” in A New Cyclopedia of Otago and Southland Dunedin, 1999.
- “Shaming the Shoneens: the Green Ray and the Maoriland Irish Society in Dunedin, 1916-1922” in Lyndon Fraser [ed], A Distant Shore: Irish Migration and New Zealand Settlement, Dunedin, 2000.
- The Birth of Modern Times: Dunedin’s Southern Suburbs 1890-1940, OSM, Dunedin, 2002.
- “Parties or Politics: Wellington’s I.R.A. 1922-1928” in Brad Patterson [ed] The Irish in New Zealand: Historical Contexts &. Perspectives, Wellington, 2002.
- “Rutherford Waddell: an Ulster Radical in Otago’s Scottish Kirk”, in Brad Patterson [ed] Ulster-New Zealand Migration and Cultural Transfers, Four Courts Press, Dublin, 2005.
- “Making an exhibition of the law” in Occupied Lawfully: Otago District Law Society 1979-2004, ed Jim Sullivan, ODLS, 2006.
- A Century of Green: the Timaru Celtic Rugby Club 1906-2006, Timaru, 2006.
- To Fame Undying: the Otago Settlers Association 1898-2008, Dunedin, 2008.
- Women of Substance: the Otago women who wore ‘fabulous frocks’, OSM, Dunedin, 2008.
- “Taking Off the Gloves” : Sectarianism in New Zealand Rugby in the 1920s, in Ireland and The Irish Antipodes: One World or Worlds Apart, Anchor Books, Australia, 2010.
- “There’s Nae Place Like Otago Yet: Scottish collections at the Otago Settlers Museum” in History Scotland, Volume 10, No 4 July/August 2010.
- “Scottish Catholics in an Irish Catholic Church in a Scottish Presbyterian Settlement: Otago’s Scottish Catholics 1848-1895” in Immigrants and Minorities, Volume 30, Issue 1, March 2012.
- “Ngāti Tūmatauenga and the Kilties: New Zealand’s ethnic military traditions” in David Forsyth and Wendy Ugolini [eds] A Global Force: war, identities and Scotland’s Diaspora, 2016.
- “Rebel hearts: New Zealand’s fenian families & the Easter Rising” in Vivienne M. Parker [ed], New Zealand Society of Genealogists 1967-2017 : book of proceedings : Alexandra Park Function Centre Epsom, Auckland; New Zealand Society of Genealogists. Conference, 2017.
Otago Peninsula Trust: the first 50 years by Seán Brosnahan and Stephen Jaquiery, Otago Peninsula Trust, 2017.
- Mercy Women: the Villa Maria story, Villa Maria College, Christchurch, 2018.